"You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden." Matthew 5:14

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ballets & Fashion Shows

 We have had a busy weekend full of firsts, fun, friends and frustration.

Kaylee had her first ballet recital this weekend.  She and her classmates have been practicing for over a month and they all looked so adorable dancing around.  I was very excited and was hoping that she would actually participate in the show.  After getting her leotards, tights, and shoes on  I tackled "the bun!"  Kaylee's hair is thick and getting her hair in a bun has proven to be a challenge for me, but fortunately with hair gel, 20+ hairpins, and lots of hairspray I got a somewhat cute bun!  She looked adorable!
After arriving at the theater, I think she got a little overwhelmed by all the people/parents waiting around.  She mentioned to me that she didn't want to dance, but I assured her that it would be okay.  She soon found her friend Rhiannon and together they went into the theater (the show was held at the movie theater here on base).
I was so happy that she got up on the stage; however she stood there with her fingers in her mouth the whole time.  She would move side to side or walk around with the group, but she didn't do any of the moves.  But we were still very proud of her!  And her friend, Alison, came with her mother to watch her.  She was very excited to see Alison at the end of the show.  Ali even brought her a flower.  After the performance, we went to Kaylee's favorite, Subway.

Today, Kaylee was part of the Kimono fashion show held at the Home Accents store on base (it is custom appreciation weekend and there are lots of festivities going on).  She and I went into the store together and soon they took us down to the break room, where the Japanese ladies were fixing hair and putting the kimonos on.  Well.....I was really excited to see her all dressed up in traditional Japanese clothing, flip flops included.....but she protested right from the beginning.  I was able to talk her into sitting for her hair to be fixed...thanks to a yummy strawberry lollipop, but getting the kimono on was another story.  Every time they would attempt to put a layer on she would cry and cling to me.  I didn't want to push her to hard, but I really wanted her to do it.  Finally, after a lot of talking, tears, and a few trips to the bathroom (she always has to go at the perfect times), I was able to get her to allow them to dress her.  It still wasn't easy, but I told her that she could get the baby Ariel (that she saw at the exchange the night before) if she would wear the kimono.  That did the trick.  So, she was dressed head-to-toe in full Japanese attire....but she didn't get on the stage for the fashion show...oh well.  We did manage to get a few good pictures and she did stand on stage at the end for group pictures.  After lunch, we headed home for some much needed rest.  

This week will be busy as I prepare for our trip to the US!!!  I am so excited and can hardly wait to see my family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment